Blogs to follow

Friday, October 30, 2015

Transitions in Marriage

Something that I found interesting in the reading this week was the fact that we need to develop our own systems as families because that will help us when we face different issues in the long run. I think that is definitely something that I have thought of before, but I didn't realize how important it is for us to have our own family goals and way of how things should happen in our family. We all come from very unique family systems and a lot of the things that we do are based off of the system that we were raised in.


I really appreciated this quote at the beginning of the reading assignments for the week.

Elder Russell M. Nelson said, "Meanwhile, mortal misunderstandings can make mischief in marriage. In fact, each marriage starts with two built-in handicaps. It involves two imperfect people. Happiness can come to them only through their earnest effort. Just as harmony comes from an orchestra only when its members make a concentrated effort, so harmony in marriage also requires a concerted effort. That effort will succeed in each partner will minimize personal demands and maximize actions of loving selflessness."  

I think that this quote is something that we all need to remember as we prepare to get married and even when we have been married for years. Each of us are human beings meaning we come with both good and bad qualities that we each need to learn how to better. I think that is one of the coolest things about marriage that we have the ability to grow together and change together. Especially during the transition years such as having children because that is a very growing time in a relationship. As we remain close to the Lord with a desire to change and grow I think that it is possible for anyone to change and to grow closer to their spouse as long as they have that desire. I have seen at least in my own family that it seems like every time there is a new grandchild born into our family we all tend to get closer to one another and I have seen specifically how my parents relationship has been strengthened from those events as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment